In the previous blogs, we explored the benefits of yoga, enhanced our strength and flexibility, and learned the importance of finding inner peace and balance. Although this is Part 3 of the Yoga for Men Series, it’s just the start of what’s hopefully a journey that continues to grow and keeps you inspired to incorporate yoga stretches into your Total Gym routines.
Full Series Recap
In case you missed the previous two blogs in this series, here are the quick links to get you up to speed. Learning these Total Gym flows can be an integral part of enhancing your overall health and fitness.
Words of Wisdom
Yoga is not just a physical practice, it’s a lifestyle. It’s about cultivating awareness, compassion, and presence in every moment. Here are a few words of wisdom to help you maintain your practice:
1. Start Small: Don’t try to do too much too soon. Start with a few simple poses and gradually build up your practice.
2. Be Patient: Yoga is a journey, not a destination. Embrace the process and be patient with yourself.
3. Listen to Your Body: Your body knows what it needs. Listen to it and honor its wisdom.
4. Practice Gratitude: Every time you workout, practice gratitude for your body, your breath, and your life.
So, whether you’re tackling a tough yoga pose or facing the challenges of everyday life, remember to keep stretching your limits, push your boundaries, and embrace the vibrant energy created within you.
Let’s conclude our series with a final Manly Moves Flow to enhance your practice!
MANLY MOVES: FLOW III
Listed below are 3 yoga movements that will get you “flowing” on your Total Gym.
Incline Setting: Adjust the incline to accommodate your flexibility. For these stretches, I suggest using a medium level (same as previous flows). However, a high incline will be easier to help your flexibility and a low incline will be best if you are flexible and need a challenge.
Directions: Perform this flow 3xs through on each side. Repeat more rounds if you’re feeling the flow and want more! Once you are comfortable with this sequence, try adding it along with the previous two Flows, I & II, for a killer routine on your Total Gym!
Focus: perform the movements slowly with control and breathe into each pose, to allow your muscles to fully relax and lengthen.
*The accompanying video demonstration will explain in detail how to perform FLOW III on your Total Gym*
1. Seated Forward Fold (Sanskrit Paschimottanasana)
• Focus: to lengthen and stretch the hamstrings, lower back, and spine
• Goal: to increase flexibility in the hamstrings, promote a healthy range of motion in the spine, and induce a state of relaxation and calmness.
• Benefits: In addition to improving hamstring flexibility and spinal mobility, it also helps relieve tightness in the hips and lower back, promotes healthy prostate function, and reduces stress and anxiety levels.
• Why it’s a good Man Move: As mentioned above, it’s a good one to help alleviate tightness in the hips and lower back, which are common areas of tension especially if you engage in activities like heavy lifting or prolonged sitting. It also promotes better performance in the gym and helps prevent potential discomfort during intimate moments 😉
2. Seated Figure 4 (Sanskrit Upavistha Ardha Utkatasana)
• Focus: to open and stretch the hips, particularly the piriformis muscle, to increase flexibility, relieve tension, and improve overall mobility in the hip area.
• Goal: to release tightness in the hip and gluteal muscles, improve hip flexibility
• Benefits: improved hip flexibility, reduced risk of lower back and hip pain, enhanced athletic performance, increased circulation to the pelvic area, and improved overall mobility, which can contribute to a greater sense of physical well-being and comfort in daily activities.
• Why it’s a good Man Move: Guys, this stretch will help unlock the tightness of your hips and glutes to excel at sports and other activities. It also helps banish lower back pain, supercharges your athletic prowess, promotes healthy blood flow to the pelvic region, and unleashes a new level of strength, flexibility, and confidence in your body and mind.
3. Seated Rotation (Sanskrit Marichyasana)
• Focus: to improve spinal mobility, release tension in the back and neck, and increase flexibility in the torso, promoting a sense of relaxation and rejuvenation.
• Goal: to enhance spinal mobility, improve posture, and alleviate stiffness in the back and shoulders.
• Benefits: helps improved spinal flexibility and mobility, enhanced range of motion in the back and shoulders, reduced risk of back and neck pain, increased circulation to the spinal discs, improved posture, and a sense of relaxation and stress relief, which can be particularly beneficial if you spend long hours sitting or engaging in activities that place strain on the upper body.
• Why it’s a good Man Move: This stretch is your secret to a strong, pain-free back that will help unlock your hidden athletic potential! It also helps your appearance by boosting your confidence with an impressive posture, and leaving stress and tension in the dust, all while ensuring you’re ready to conquer any challenge that comes your way.
4. Supine Pigeon (Supta Kapotasana)
• Focus: to open the hips, particularly the outer hips and glutes, while releasing tension and tightness in the lower back and hip area.
• Goal: to increase hip flexibility and mobility, alleviate tightness in the hip and gluteal muscles.
• Benefits: helps release tension in the gluteal muscles and piriformis, which can help alleviate symptoms of sciatica and improve sciatic nerve health, as well as promoting relaxation and reducing stress and anxiety levels, creating a sense of calmness and rejuvenation in the body and mind.
• Why it’s a good Man Move: Guys- this one’s a must, especially if you run, sit a lot, or just simply don’t stretch! It helps unlocks the gateway to your hips of steel, banishes discomfort from strenuous activities, unleashes a flexible and agile lower body, eases sciatic woes, and cultivates a sense of calm strength that will elevate your performance, vitality, and confidence to new heights. Did I convince you to try this one?!
Be sure to check out the video to see how these Manly Moves flow together on your Total Gym.
Incorporating yoga into your lifestyle is rewarding for your overall wellbeing. It’s a healthy way to regulate emotions and help “let go” of life’s challenges through the practice. I hope you’re inspired to bend, stretch, and strike some “Manly Moves” on your Total Gym. It’s never to late to start your yoga journey.
With that, gentlemen, I salute you. Keep flowing, keep growing, and remember to always stay flexible in body, mind, and spirit.