Are you ready to elevate your summer fitness game to maximize your workout time and have a blast while doing it?
Look no further because I have an exciting 3-part summer blog series lined up just for you. In this series, we’ll explore the art of remixing your workouts by performing traditional Total Gym exercises that you may already know well, and take it up a notch by increasing the balance challenge to keep your workout fresh, exciting, and effective. So, let’s dive in!
Why Remixing is Essential for Mind and Body
We all know that doing the same workout routine day in and day out can become monotonous. Not only does it become boring, but our bodies also adapt to the same movements, leading to a plateau in the process. By remixing your workouts, you’ll not only keep your mind engaged and motivated, but you’ll also challenge your body in new ways, breaking through plateaus and reaching new heights of fitness.
Summer Remix Series Overview
This 3-part series focuses on different aspects of fitness to ensure a well-rounded routine. Each part introduces a specific workout element, the benefits of each exercise, and a guide to learn the techniques via the video demonstration. The best part is that the workouts can be performed as single circuits (one full routine), or it can be added into your other workouts.
Part 1: Strength Remix
Part 2: Cardio + Core Remix
Part 3: Mobility + Flexibility Remix
By the end of the series, you’ll have a treasure trove of exercises to mix and match, so you can create your own personalized fitness regimen. So, let’s kick-start this journey together!
WORKOUT #1: STRENGTH + BALANCE REMIXED
The Workout #1 starts by challenging your strength and balance. You will perform 3 different traditional Total Gym exercises that will target your core and enhance your balance skills simultaneously. Since the glide board is a moving piece, these exercises require complete core activation to maintain stability, balance, and coordination while performing the strength movement.
Set Up: Cables Connected, adjust incline to your strength level
• Set a timer or timer APP
• Perform the exercises in the order listed in circuit format
• Perform 60-90 seconds (each side), then move on to the next exercise taking little to no rest in between.
• Complete as many rounds as your time permits.
• Feel free to “remix” them into your other routines as well!
1. Kneeling Torso Rotation
Focus: core balance, stability, obliques, upper body strength
• Stand to one side of the glide board and grab the cable on that side.
• Anchor down and kneel onto the glide board.
• Once stable, come to a high kneeling position and hold the cable with both hands.
• Begin to diagonally move the cable from the hip to the opposite shoulder while rotating the torso.
• Keep the core activated and the gaze focused on one spot to maintain balance.
• Option: make this move dynamic by lowering and extending the hips as the cable presses towards the shoulder.
• Repeat this motion on both sides.
2. Kneeling Rows
Focus: upper, middle, lower back strength, dynamic core strength & balance
• Face the vertical column and hold a cable in each hand.
• Anchor down and assume a kneeling position on the heels to start. Once stable, extend hips into a high kneeling position.
• Begin to row with elbows wide and thumbs aiming towards the under arms OR row with arms parallel and close to ribs.
• Slightly hinge back from the knees keeping the torso elongated from head to knees.
• Activate your core to maintain balance and control.
• Option: make the movement dynamic by sitting and extending the hips on the rowing motion.
3. Kneeling Chest Press (or fly)
Focus: upper body strength, core balance and stability
• Stand to one side of the TG and face away from the vertical column with a cable in each hand.
• Carefully anchor down with one hand and kneel onto the glide board to sit onto heels.
• Perform the chest press or chest fly motion.
• Option: extend the hips into a high kneeling position and slightly hinge back to allow for an increased range of motion for an added balance challenge.
REPEAT the remix for as many rounds as your time permits!
Extra Note: These basic Total Gym exercises are “remixed” with a dynamic balance challenge. If the positioning is uncomfortable for you, know that they can all be performed from a sitting position too!
Be sure to check out the video demonstration to learn how to perform these strength + balance exercises on your Total Gym.
Stay tuned for Part 2, remixed combos of Cardio + Core moves that will enhance your workout with an extra energy boost!
The post Remix Your Summer Fitness Routine with this Total Gym Series – part 1 appeared first on Total Gym Pulse.